Front End Engineer
Speech technology is one of the most popular discussion items right now, yet speech interaction is limited to “Alexa, turn on the light”, or “Siri, where is the nearest coffee shop?”. Speechmatics are taking speech technology to the next level using our expertise in machine learning and speech-to-text technology to enable our partners and customers to use conversational speech recognition. Our solutions power subtitling on TV, content discovery for videos, compliance solutions in banks, improve efficiency of meetings, and many other use-cases. Our mission is to power the understanding of communications through machine learning.
At Speechmatics you will be working with some of the smartest minds in the industry. You’ll be challenged and expected to bring ideas to the table. You’ll have passion for developing web applications and keen eye for improving our customers’ experience. You’ll know how to build websites for optimal search performance and enjoy providing support to the wider business when it comes to anything web.
We’re standing alongside some of the biggest players in the world of speech and you’ll be instrumental in turning our web presence into a key channel for the business.
Speechmatics is rapidly scaling and we’re evolving as a result. Initially, you will be starting in the Engineering Services team whose mission is to make engineers happier every day. The team is autonomous and your self-directed web responsibilities will align with that. You’ll also work closely with our marketing team on our website, our transcription trial experience, as well as ensuring that SEO and UX best practice is implemented. In addition, as Speechmatics goes into new markets, you will need to help organise our website to potentially include other web applications for showing off new products to customers. This will range from collaborating on new content, to writing interactive web applications that integrate with our APIs.
The way we display and consume information on the web is always evolving. You will be able to guide colleagues with advice and recommendations on the most effective ways to presen our products on the web. The tools, frameworks and libraries you pick would inform how we present our products, and the outputs of our APIs on the web.
You will also be empowered to make our web development a breeze. Whether this is tooling, process or structural changes, it will be your responsibility to ensure that all future development around our website and front-end development processes are both successful and easy to manage. As we grow as an organisation, you have a chance to lay a foundation and have real impact on the direction of web development at Speechmatics.
- Be go-to person on all thing's web development
- Owning the Speechmatics website including:
- WordPress theme development
- Integrating with REST and Websocket APIs for transcription trial
- Performance and optimisation
- Information architecture and overall site UX for desktop and mobile clients
- Ensuring we follow W3C accessibility standards
- Plug-in testing and integration
- Developing web applications and front-ends for our API driven products
- Experience writing GUIs on top of REST APIs
- You love it when source code, automated tests, and build tools are in Git and run in a CI system
- Experience working from design mock-ups and understand UX best practice
- Experience developing WordPress themes and plug-ins, including form handlers and marketing integrations
- Understanding of technical SEO best practices to make sure we appear high-up in search results
- Experience integrating with WebSocket APIs
- Experience with SASS, PHP, Grunt
- Have used containerisation tools and understand the benefits
- Working in an agile software development environment
- Experience with AMP for blog
Competitive salary (dependent on experience), flexible working and some awesome benefits & perks.
Get in touch! Send your CV and covering letter to [email protected].
Who are we?
Innovation is what we do. We build, we iterate, we develop the next thing that delivers that wow moment. We see value in building long-term, authentic relationships that last and are based on trust and honesty. With our customers, our colleagues, our leaders, our suppliers or within our local community. Our journey should be fun and exciting. We will celebrate our successes and learn from our mistakes together along the way. We embrace learning and change to grow naturally and organically as a company and individuals. We trust, we’re honest, kind and respectful.